La Batarde’s net proceeds — approximately 70 percent of the retail price — are donated entirely to the Abortion Support Network (ASN). (The other 30 percent covers our materials and production.)
The ASN is a volunteer-led organisation that provides financial assistance, accommodation and non-judgmental information to women in Ireland and Northern Ireland, who have no option but to travel to England to end unwanted pregnancies. On top of travel expenses, the cost of the procedure can range from £400 to £2000, depending on the circumstances and stage of the pregnancy.
The ASN was founded with the understanding that outlawing access does not stop abortion; it only stops safe abortion. When faced with an unwanted pregnancy, women with money have options and women without money have babies, or do dangerous and desperate things.
The ASN is not a campaigning or lobbying organisation. While other organisations campaign for much needed law reform, the ASN's volunteers work hard to provide immediate, practical support to women who are unable to access safe and legal abortion in their own countries.